SMYSP 2019 Application Now Open!
The Stanford Medical Youth Science Program is now accepting applications for Summer 2019.
The Summer Residential Program is open to low-income and/or underrepresented high school sophomores and juniors who live in Northern and Central California. You qualify and are invited to apply if you:
- Are a current sophomore or junior high school student (at the time of your application) who lives and attends high school in one of the 20 Northern or Central California counties from which we recruit. Preference is given to students who are juniors at the time of their application.
- Are from a low-income family whose members have little or no history of attending college.
- Have demonstrated an interest in science and have received a B-average in some of your science classes.
- Have demonstrated an interest in medicine and/or health-related careers and show maturity, intelligence, initiative, and curiosity about the world around you.
Only applications received from the following California counties will be considered—and there are no exceptions: Alameda, Contra Costa, Fresno, Madera, Marin, Merced, Monterey, Napa, Sacramento, San Benito, San Francisco, San Joaquin, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma, Stanislaus, and Yolo.
Students who don’t meet these basic eligibility requirements aren’t eligible to apply for this program. Exceptions cannot be made.
The program recognizes, however, that personal circumstances may prevent some students from demonstrating their full academic potential. Therefore, SMYSP doesn't only look for A-average student and will consider academically motivated students with a 2.75 or greater GPA. If you fall into such a category, we encourage you to apply. Please note that you must have taken adequate science and math courses to understand the lectures and labs. This program is tuition-free to all participants.
How to Apply
As an eligible sophomore or junior high school student, you can easily apply to our program. A complete application includes the following:
- A Preliminary Application in which the applicant provides basic background and contact information.
- An Online Application form, into which the applicant submits essays and a transcript. Applications become available mid-December each year.
- Two letters of recommendation. One letter must be from a science or math teacher and another from a teacher, counselor, principal, or mentor.
- Applications are due February 13, 2019.
Email is our primary mode of communication and each applicant will receive a confirmation email from us after his or her application is received and processed.
If you don’t have an email address, we strongly encourage you or your parents or guardians to register for one. (Free emails are available through Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, and other such email hosting services.) If SMYSP has any questions about your application, or if there is something missing, an email will be sent asking that the applicant contact us immediately. It will be the applicant’s responsibility to check his or her email regularly and respond to us.
Given the size of the applicant pool, we recommend that you apply early. Please don’t contact us regarding your status.
Up to 45 applicants will be invited to participate in video conference interviews. These typically take place in late April or early May.
Note: Because of Stanford's academic calendar, interviews are often held on an SAT test date. Since students must attend these interviews to be eligible for selection, we recommend that applicants not schedule standardized testing around this time.